Special Operations Division

City of Concord Housing Code


The City of Concord is committed to the belief that every citizen within the city and its perimeter area is entitled to inhabit a dwelling that is decent, safe, sanitary and meets the Minimum Housing Standards as set forth by the City.

What is Housing Enforcement?

Housing code enforcement comes under the responsibility of the Police Department of the City of Concord. Inspections are performed by a Code Enforcement Officer whenever a complaint has been received about the condition and safety of a property or the officer identifies a possible Minimum Housing Code Violation.

What is the Violation Process?

Once a property is identified as possibly being in violation of the City of Concord Minimum Housing Standards the following events typically take place:

  1. Permission to inspect the property must be obtained. This permission can be granted by the tenant, owner of the property, or through an administrative search warrant. 
  2. An inspection of the property is performed by a Code Enforcement Officer. Violations are identified and documented. 
  3. If violations are documented, the Enforcement Officer will issue a violation notice along with a list of the items found to be in non-compliance. A hearing notice will be issued setting forth a date and time that will provide the owner an opportunity to discuss with the Code Enforcement Officer his/her findings and and to establish a time table for the needed repairs or demolition, whichever is relevant. The hearing notice shall be issued at least 10 days before the hearing date. The hearing shall take place no more than 30 days after notification. All correspondence shall be done by certified mail as required by state law. 
  4. Once the hearing date and time has passed, a Findings of Fact and Order is issued giving not less than 30 days and not greater than 90 days to make the necessary repairs or demolition of the structure. This order may be appealed by following the appeals process as outlined in the Minimum Housing Standards Code. 
  5. If the structure is not brought into compliance by the date established in the Findings of Fact and Order, Civil Penalties may then be assessed as outlined in the Findings of Fact and Order. 
  6. If the property is determined to be dilapidated (cost more than 50% of the property tax value to repair) the City Council can adopt a demolition ordinance condemning the property and directing that it be demolished. The cost of this process is the responsibility of the property owner. 

Common Questions

Q- Since I am complying with the City's Housing Code, do I still need to obtain a building permit for repairs that are being made?

A- A permit is required when the work will cost five thousand dollars or more or involves: (1) The addition, repair, or replacement of load bearing structures; (2) The addition or change in the design of the plumbing, electrical, or heating and air systems. Information about necessary permits may be obtained by calling Cabarrus County Building Inspections at 788-8128.

Q- Can my landlord evict me for making a complaint to the city?

A- No, under N.C. Law a complaint is not justification for an eviction.

Q- What are some common Minimum Housing Code Violations?

A- Improper structural condition, improper ventilation, non-functioning or faulty electrical, plumbing, and heating systems, improper habitable space, improper safe and sanitary maintenance, and infestations of insects and/or rodents.

Q- How can I make repairs if the City is withholding my electrical power?

A- Owner must obtain temporary pole service until repairs are made. Full service can be restored after property has been brought into compliance.