Residential garbage collection
Your garbage is now picked up faster and more efficiently using fully automated trucks. This improvement saves money and helps the environment by reducing the amount of trucks driving around the City every day.
Remember only non-recyclable and non-hazardous items should go in your green roll-out cart. Place bulky items, appliances and e-waste at the curb by 6am on your collection day so it can be located for collection.
Tips for a successful pickup:
- On your scheduled pickup day each week, place your carts curbside, but not in the street.
- The cart's wheels should be pointed away from the street (towards your house).
- If you live on a street without a curb, place them roadside 2 to 3 feet from the edge of pavement.
- Place each cart 2 feet apart, and 2 feet away from parked cars, mailboxes, fire hydrants, etc.
In most cases, your neighborhood trash, recyclables, and yard waste are collected on the same day. Call-in scheduling is not required for collection. Curbside collection times are subject to change based on holiday schedules. You must place all garbage, recycling and special waste items at the curb by 6am on your collection day. You may place items by the curb no earlier than 5pm the day before your collection day.
Remember, recycling and bulky waste collection occurs on a biweekly schedule in the established blue and green zones. Visit concordnc.gov/whatsmyday to confirm your collection schedule.
Please follow these guidelines for efficient curbside collection:
- Residential trash/garbage must be placed in tied bags.
- All bags must fit inside City of Concord authorized roll-out garbage carts
- (any garbage, bagged or not, that is placed outside the cart or in unauthorize carts will not be collected).
- Collections are made between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
- Garbage and Recycling carts should be positioned at the curb with wheels and handle away from the street. Please place carts at least 2 feet from obstacles.
- Residents are permitted one green roll-out garbage cart per household. Up to 2 additional brown roll-out carts are available for a monthly fee, provided that the household participates in the curbside recycling program.
- The City will supply a second black recycling cart to anyone who needs one at no cost (call 704-920-5555).
- Household hazardous waste will not be picked up at the curb, but should be taken to the CABARRUS COUNTY HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE FACILITY. Call 704.920.EARTH (3278) or visit Cabarrus County Household Hazardous Waste page for more information and hours of operation.
How to report a missed collection
If your waste or recycling are not collected on your scheduled collection day, call 704-920-5555. If a miss is reported before 5:15pm, Waste Pro will respond by 8:00pm on that day. However, if a miss is reported after 5:15pm, Waste Pro will respond on the following day.
Make a commitment to reduce the amount of waste you produce (purchasing only items you need or will consume, and composting when possible), become an avid recycler (with even more items to recycle!), and reuse items that are still functional (be creative and find new uses, or pass them along to others). It’s an easy commitment that makes a world of difference!