City Hall Blog (archived)

Trick or treat! Halloween health and safety tips

Halloween can be a fun time, although without taking precautions we all may be in for a trick. Safe Kids USA reports that twice as many child pedestrians are killed while walking on Halloween as compared to any other day of the year. Taking just a few minutes to discuss safety with your children can provide a much safer and enjoyable Halloween experience for everyone.

Explore the Outdoors During "Take a Child Outside Week", September 24 - 30

The North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences created Take a Child Outside Week, which is now observed by partners across the U.S. and Canada to help break down obstacles that keep children from discovering the natural world. By arming parents, teachers and other caregivers with resources on outdoor activities, the goal is to help children across the country develop a better understanding and appreciation of the environment in which they live, and a burgeoning enthusiasm for its exploration. Take a Child Outside Week 2012 is September 24th through September 30th.

Tips for a safe Independence Day


The City of Concord Department of Fire and Life Safety wants everyone to have a safe and enjoyable Fourth of July. Although fireworks are one of the things we enjoy most about this holiday, they are also one of the greatest safety concerns. However, you can help make the holiday safe for your family and friends by ensuring that fireworks are used in a legal and appropriate manner.

Stay safe as the temperature rises

Summer is heating up, with North Carolina bracing for excessive temperatures and poor air quality this weekend. The City of Concord would like you remind you of the dangers of high heat, especially for those in poor health, the elderly, and those without air conditioning.

Save on your summer electric bill with these energy-savings tips

With little effort and a few dollars, you can conserve energy this summer, saving dollars on your utility bill. It may surprise you to see how much you can reduce your energy consumption and costs by following a few simple tips, offered by Concord Electric Systems your hometown NC Public Power utility.

A new look and better fuel efficiency on patrol

You’ll soon notice a new look on some of the Concord Police patrol vehicles. In March, the department received replacement cruisers for 27 of the nearly 200 Police vehicles in the fleet. The new vehicles replace 2000-2003 model vehicles with over 100,000 miles each. Six-cylinder engines now power 87 percent of all patrol vehicles, and half of the remaining 13 percent with eight cylinders are spares. The new Ford Police Interceptor is the only front-wheel drive six-cylinder police car available.

Lock, Look, Learn About Water Safety

Safe Kids North Carolina, a statewide coalition housed in the North Carolina Department of Insurance Office of State Fire Marshal, is reminding parents and caregivers about important safety tips in an effort to reduce child drownings, near-drownings, and entrapments in swimming pools and spas.

May Race to Education: Mayor Padgett proclaims “Marcos Ambrose Days” in Concord

Mayor Scott Padgett is teaming up with NASCAR Driver Marcos Ambrose (Richard Petty Motorsports #9 Ford) for Charlotte Motor Speedway's May Race to Education Program, with hopes of winning up to $40,000 for Cabarrus County Schools.

The #9 Ford will be parked in front of City Hall on Tuesday, May 15 from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. At noon, Mayor Padgett will be joined by Charlotte Motor Speedway's Lug Nut and other guests for a special presentation to Cabarrus County Schools.

Taking Customer Service to the next level

The City of Concord has achieved a new milestone in its commitment to making excellent service its top priority.

In January, the City’s two existing Customer Service teams combined in an effort to achieve customer service excellence. The Customer Care Center staff was relocated from Fire Station 3 to the Municipal Building where the walk-in Customer Service group is located.