Licenses and Permits


State Licenses

In some cases, a business may be required to obtain a privilege license from the State of North Carolina. To verify this item for your business, contact the nearest office of the N.C. Department of Revenue:

N.C. Department of Revenue
500 West Trade St
Suite 446
Charlotte, NC 28202

Phone: 1-877-252-3052
Web Site:

Industry-Specific State Licenses:
Some businesses require a statewide industry-specific license. For more information, please contact the N.C. Business License Information Office in Raleigh:
Phone: 1-800-228-8443
Web Site:



All areas in the City of Concord are regulated by a zoning ordinance.  It is important that all business owners secure a zoning permit before engaging in a business activity on a parcel of land.  It is recommended that businesses obtain permits as early as possible during the business-planning stage.  Permits for zoning, exterior signs, home occupations, and building construction/alterations can be obtained from the appropriate City and County offices:

City of Concord Zoning Permits

Planning & Neighborhood Development Department
66 Union Street South
PO Box 308
Concord, NC 28026-0308


Cabarrus County Building Permits

Building Inspections
65 Church Street SE
PO Box 707
Concord, NC 28026-0707

Web site:  Cabarrus County Construction Standards

When discussing a specific business location with a City or County staff member, it is important to have the street address and owner's name, or the property identification number (PIN) at hand.

Zoning questions usually center on the acceptability of a certain use of property in a given zoning district. Sometimes conditions are placed on business uses - limiting the intensity of an activity, hours of operation, or other factors which could effect the surrounding neighborhood. Other important zoning issues may involve the ability to add on to an existing building, or dealing with a portion of the property which is designated as a flood plain.

New building construction, additions, and alterations typically require a building permit, except for very minor changes. This includes exterior work as well as significant interior repairs and changes. For commercial buildings, handicapped accessibility issues are becoming increasingly important.  All these items should be reviewed carefully with Cabarrus County building code officials. It is advisable to make sure that all contractors are properly licensed, and to obtain necessary permits before any work is initiated.

Signs are governed by zoning regulations. Commercial signs are limited by the total number allowed for any one business, and the size (in square feet) permitted. Sign plans should be submitted to the City of Concord Planning & Neighborhood Development Department.