Bulky, appliances, and e-waste

Bulky Waste

Due to impacts from COVID-19 concerns, the City of Concord will suspend all curbside collection of mattresses effective Monday, March 30, 2020 until further notice.  The City encourages residents to keep mattresses inside their homes until the suspension is lifted; however, if the mattress needs to be disposed of immediately, there are two options available to residents:

1) Charlotte Motor Speedway Landfill (owned and operated by Republic Services) at 5105 Morehead Road, Concord NC.  With proof of City of Concord residency, a fee of $2 per ton for residential waste applies.  Please call 704-782-2004 for more information.

2) Cabarrus County Landfill at 4441 Irish Potato Road, Concord NC.  Please contact the Landfill at 704-920-2950 or 704-920-3209 or visit cabarruscounty.us/resources/residential-waste for more operating hours and other information.

If additional changes in Solid Waste services or scheduling are needed, the City will communicate those changes as promptly as possible.  The public is encouraged to visit concordnc.gov/whatsmyday or download the CARTology mobile app to sign up for service alers and other solid waste notifications.  


Bulky Waste is a free service. It is picked up on your regularly scheduled recycling collection day.

  • Bulky waste refers to items too large to fit into roll-out carts, including furniture, appliances, scrap metal, tires, carpet & padding, and construction or demolition debris.
  • Up to 10 cubic yards of regular bulky total (or 6 cubic yards of regular bulky and 4 cubic yards of construction debris) may be placed at the curb.
  • Please consider donating items in good condition to a needy person or charity.
  • Place loose bulky waste inside clear plastic bags for collection.
  • Personal containers may not be used to contain garbage or recycling. Personal containers meant for disposal must be marked “Throw Away,” or they will be left by the curb.
  • Place bulky items 2 feet from your roll-out garbage cart and away from low overhead lines, parked cars, or other impediments.

Dismantling of Large or Heavy Items

  • Dismantle items such as swing sets, pool tables, basketball goals, and any items that are too heavy to be carried by two people before placing curbside.
  • Items that are too heavy or bulky to be lifted shall be dismantled by the resident before placed curbside for collection.
  • Individual items shall not weigh more than 65 pounds.
  • Exceptions to this requirement include those items equipped with wheels, such as lawn mowers, garden equipment, refrigerators, etc. that can be rolled to the collection vehicle.

Remove Concrete Anchors or Encasements

  • Customers must remove concrete from any item, such as posts, fencing, or playground equipment prior to placement curbside for collection.
  • Any item totally or partially encased in concrete will not be collected regardless of weight.

Electronic Waste

The State of North Carolina has banned electronic waste (e-waste) from N.C. landfills. For your convenience the City provides curbside collection of e-waste.
E-waste includes:

  • Televisions
  • Computers and computer components such as printers, keyboards, etc.
  • nything with a circuit board such as electronic games, cell phones, radios, stereo systems, etc. Scrap Metal & Old Appliances

Scrap Metal & Old Appliances

  • Freezers and refrigerators (remove all food items), unit air conditioners, and other Freon containing appliances.
  • Stoves, ranges, dishwashers, washing machines, clothes dryers, water heaters, and other similar household appliances.
  • Bicycles, metal tools, wheelbarrows, tire rims (tires removed), old lawn mowers (remove oil drain plug and gas cap), large metal items (see dismantling and concrete removal requirements above), and other metal items not requiring lift equipment.

Tires: 2 Collections per Calendar Year

  • Tires with rims removed can be collected 2 times per calendar year from single family residential properties.
  • Maximum of 8 auto or pickup truck sized (or smaller) tires per collection.
  • Businesses do not qualify for this service.
  • Tires must be removed from rims.


  • Residents can place the used toilet in a clear plastic bag or place in a cardboard box.
  • Tank must be removed from the bowl if detachable.

Carpet & Padding: 2 Collections per Calendar Year

  • Carpet and padding can be collected 2 times per calendar year from single family residential properties.
  • Carpet and padding must be rolled and tied into rolls 6 feet or less in length.
  • Each roll must weigh less than 65 pounds.
  • Carpet and padding resulting from work performed by homeowner is collected at no charge.
  • The City will remove carpet and padding placed at curb no more than 2 times per calendar year.

Construction & Demolition Debris

  • Must not exceed 4 cubic yards (1 cubic yard is approximately the amount of material that would fit into your rollout garbage cart) or obstruct the street or sidewalk when placed at the curb.
  • Remove nails or bend flush with surface of wood to protect collectors and pedestrians from injury.
  • Place loose material such as drywall, insulation, etc. in clear plastic bags or in open cardboard boxes.
  • Secure all materials to prevent scattering of litter.
  • Individual bags or boxes are limited to 35 pounds.
  • A combination of bulky waste and 4 cubic yards construction debris not exceeding 10 cubic yards may be placed curbside for collection without cost (see ‘Large Quantities of Bulky Waste’ below).

Large Quantities of Bulky Waste

  • For the collection of more than 10 cubic yards of bulky waste or more than 4 cubic yards of construction debris, please call Waste Pro at 980-255-3800 to schedule and pay for this roll-off container service.

How to Recycle Wooden Pallets, Used Oil, & Oil Filters

(Banned from North Carolina landfills)

  • Small quantities of wooden pallets can be recycled by Cabarrus County residents at the following location:    

    Cabarrus County Landfill
    4441 Irish Potato Road, Concord

  • Used oil and oil filters can also be recycled at the Household Hazardous Waste Facility, as well as many of the retail locations that sell these items. 

    Cabarrus County Household Hazardous Waste Facility (HHW)
    246 General Services Drive SW, Concord
    704.920.EARTH (3278)

  • Drain oil filters into your used oil container for at least 24 hours before taking them to the HHW.
  • Do not place used oil filters into your garbage or recycling roll-out cart.